You're not creative? This isn't for you? It's time to rethink all of this.
In this line of creative instigation, mainly focusing on my encouragement of slowing down and diving into some creative expression through play, I hear a lot of....stuff. I'd have to say that one of the two most common things I hear are, "I'm not creative."
When I hear it I cringe. "What makes you think you're not creative?" I ask.
The responses usually go a little something like...
"I can't draw."
"I just don't know what to do when I look at a blank piece of paper or canvas."
"I like to paint, but I just am not good at it."
And sometimes even the classics - "I can't even draw a stick figure/straight line/insert whatever specific thing here." - which I don't believe any of it, because of course you can.
What gets me is this - who ever put this miniscule, tiny box in front of you with these labels and made you think your creative ability was limited to just what was inside there?
Was it someone specific, like an old teacher? Was it the world? Who?
Because it isn't true.
The Art of Play is important enough that I donate time, money and great attention to it - if others' creative abilities were so lacking - truly - why would I bother?
And that leads me to the next issue I hear often - "I don't need creativity in my life, that's just not me."
GASP. It's just not you?!? And at this point I hear a lot of hooplah about the person being a "left brained analytical Type A" personality, being an accountant, numbers person, being in marketing or some other executive role, being in real estate brokerage, banking, etc.
Phew, y'all. So let me ask you this...
Are you human?
Do you work (in any sense of the word) inside or outside of the home?
If you answered yes to either of the above, let's keep going.
Creativity is a crucial part of your life. Yes, I bolded, underlined and italicized it.
Relaxing, frivolous, creative meandering will work wonders for your entire being, mind, body and soul!
Creative play relaxes, it allows what's inside to come out and it inspires - to name a few. And no matter who you are, what type of personality you have, where you earn your living (or don't if you're in the home and shuffling kids around and making a house), who your friends are, what you drive - you need it.
So I want to take a few moments and go through some of the "off" types who think it's not for them and at the very end I'll link some articles about all of the benefits of adding some creative space to your life.
1. Accountants/bankers/analytical, regardless of occupation - you might do all those things, but you have to deal with other people, right? You must have to go out in public. Do you have children who want to imagine and have fun with you?
Creativity leads to inspiration and that leads to more creativity. You might not get to be very creative in an excel spreadsheet or budgeting, but you could probably be creative in your interactions with others, no? Chances are you have to explain very line-by-line things to people like me - and God bless you for it. As a flighty artistic visionary, I'm willing to stand both feet firmly on the ground, stretch and bend my brain a bit to understand my very straight-forward, line by line people...but wouldn't life be amazing if you got the inspiration of words and methods to communicate with others, too? Maybe an idea for your next snazzy presentation or even just the analogy to get across to someone who simply just isn't getting it.
Creativity can do that! Exercise that muscle a bit and you'll be baffled at how it grows!
2. Fitness people - you might be into health and physical fitness, but creativity - while usually a bit more sedentary - is very much about mind and soul, which greatly affect the overall physical health. If our minds aren't right, if we're busy and harried and stressed all the time, it doesn't matter how great of shape our bodies are in, soon that stress is going to catch up.
Fitness is an entire body thing, inside AND out. That includes stress, expression, communication, release and so much more. So maybe you run off your anxiety or go to the gym. At night before you go to bed, you could unwind with a little pen to paper, a little water and paint and play.
I was going to keep going with this list because I have a lot more to list and mention, but honestly - do I have to? No matter what you do, I want you to sit and wonder - do you have more room in your life for a little more creative fun? What could more inspiration do for you in what you actually do? What could it add?
And of course I love my workshops for the Art of Play, however, this isn't just a plug for that - chances are you're nowhere near me! There are, however, people like me all over the world running programs just like this to bring more creativity to their communities in such a wide array of ways.
I want you to find one. Especially if you think you shoudn't, especially if you think you "can't", especially if you think it will not benefit you - I challenge you, here and now, to try it a few times. And then I want you to come back here to me and tell me all the ways it didn't work.
I'll wait.
You are creative - you were born to express things with words, with visual cues, with song, with the sharing of ideas, with movement, with communication, with poems, with painting, with color, with photos!
YOU were created to create.
So get out there and find some creative opportunities in your community to unleash and have some fun, no matter what that looks like for you - take an art class, join a community meet up with your local arts council - there are so many opportunities waiting for you when you're looking.
Next best is online - there are so many options on social media alone to signup for free classes, challenges or eve take a paid course if you want to invest.
And if you cannot find anything playful enough, of course you're welcome in the Creative Playground with us. Not ready to join? That's fine too. I created a little something special to get you off the ground running - check out the FREE Guide to Creative Self Expression here.

Comments
Post a Comment